How Membership Dues Are Spent
- New decking and sub-structure for the dock at the lagoon.
- Rebuilt bleachers at the Humboldt baseball diamond.
- Rebuilt horse shoe pits. These are the only remaining horse shoe pits in our park system!
- Painting if the Humboldt Park Bandshell exterior.
- Band shell roof repairs.
- Reduction of cattails on the lagoon.
- Landscaping at the Beulah Brinton Community Center.
- New flower and shrub beds at Humboldt.
- Grants to Bay View grade schools.
- Matching grant to South Shore bluff restoration project.
- Painting of the pavilion skate room.
- Recycling stations at Chill on the Hill.
- Chill on the Hill sound upgrade.
- Construction and donation of bat houses to Hide House, the Urban Ecology Center, and the Sisters of St. Francis Landscape restoration and Urban Garden project.
KK Business District Streetscaping : co-operative project with the Bay View BID
1st Annual South Side Parks Conference: Sept. 22 at BucketWorks
Stay Informed: Check our calendar for debates, forums, and public meetings.
Be heard: Voter registration available at Chill on the Hill
Support the businesses that support us: Become a member and take advantage of your free BVNA Discount Card.
People often ask us why they should support the Bay View Neighborhood Association by becoming a member. This column is the first in a series that will address exactly that question.
BVNA activities are funded through membership dues, sponsorships, grants and donations. While most BayView residents are familiar with our large annual events like Chill on the Hill, Winter Blast and Pumpkin Pavilion, your membership dues are hard at work supporting numerous other projects throughout our community.
Already this year we have made funds available for scholarships, the Hide House Urban Beekeeping Project, park improvements such as painting the band shell restrooms, and services for homeless vets. We have also made a matching grant available for bluff restoration at South Shore Park, and will be continuing with Project Crayon Box, which provides art supplies to area elementary schools.
Other recent projects include the construction of Hide House Community Garden, rain gardens at two elementary schools, new benches at the Pryor St. Iron Well, and the repair of existing park benches at Humboldt along with improvements to the pavilion. Produce from thhe BVNA's garden plot at Hide House is donated to the meal program at Bay View United Methodist Church. All these things occur in addition to our regularly scheduled park, river and beach clean-ups.
It is also in the interest of our members, and the community as a whole, that the BVNA uses some portion of its resources to promote and support the efforts of other Bay View based non-profits. We want the money raised through membership to have the broadest possible long term impact while keeping our expenditures both prudent and local.
Money raised in Bay View is spent in Bay View. By becoming a member you are helping to make our neighborhood a great place to live, both now, and well into the future.
new seats for the bleacher's at Humboldt Park.
New roof for the band shell at Humboldt Park
New Dock at Humboldt Park lagoon.